Monday, October 26, 2009

Kebabs…not just meat on a stick

Here in Nantes, there are signs everywhere for “Kebabs.” I was a skeptic at first, and I was not really sure if I was ever going to try one. I did not want to get sucked into the “Chinatown” of Nantes, or something to that effect. Well, I finally tried a kebab the other night! I have to describe what a kebab is to all of you Americans, because it is not a bunch of meat and vegetables shoved onto a skewer and thrown on the barbecue. That is what I think of when I hear kebab. Nantes kebabs are more of a gyro type of sandwich, and I think that they originate as a sort of Algerian specialty. I really should be more of a food historian here in Nantes. So, a kebab is a sort of pita bread/shell stuffed with cured lamb or pork, lettuce, and tomatoes. In actuality, I have no idea what I am eating when I eat a kebab. Luckily, I am not allergic to anything. No matter what makes up a kebab, they are absolutely delicious. It is the perfect combination of fast-foodiness and authentic Moroccan spices making you feel you are actually eating a legitimate meal. In addition, kebabs are not incredibly expensive. They are not cheap, as nothing is cheap in Europe, but they are not an expensive four-course meal. This is why I am assuming I will be eating more than one kebab throughout my time in Nantes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers